Autumn comes, and with it new worries. It is necessary to collect and store the crop, clear the area of weeds and tops, and then build beds for future harvests. In September-October, garlic is planted before winter. This is a simple matter, but it has its own tricks.
Timing of winter planting in autumn by region
The date of planting garlic depends on the weather, and even within the same region it changes every year. Autumn is both early and late, the cold comes in different days and months. Therefore, there are no exact dates for planting garlic for the Black Earth Region, the Moscow Region or the Urals, but there are signs by which everyone can decide for himself whether it is time for him to plant garlic or not.
Garlic is a cold-resistant culture, its roots begin to grow at +2 ... +3 ° C, shoots appear at +5 ... +10 ° C. For podzimny planting, it is necessary that the teeth take root, but the feather is not given. This means that the air and soil temperature should be stable in the range of +2 ° C ... +5 ° C, at night slight frosts are possible - up to and -1 ° C ... -2 ° C. For reliability, check the weather forecast for the next week, if warming up to +10 ° C and higher is not expected, proceed to planting.
By region, you can only roughly tell when it is time to look at the thermometer outside the window.
- So, in the suburbs, the middle lane and the Leningrad region, a favorable period falls on the second half of September - early October,
- in the south of Russia - in October,
- in Siberia - in the first decade of September to October.
Before winter, you can plant bulbs, and teeth, and one-toothed. The timing and technology are the same for everyone, the only difference is in the depth and density of planting.
How to choose a place and predecessors for garlic and how to prepare a garden bed
Garlic loves sunny places without stagnant rain and melt water. The best predecessors will be cucumbers, early cabbage, zucchini, tomatoes. Cannot be planted after onions and garlic itself.
They start planting when it is already cool outside, but the garden bed can be made in advance, 1-2 weeks in advance, by choosing a sunny and warm day.
- Scatter humus or compost over the surface of the future garden bed, using a bucket per running meter.
- Add double superphosphate (40-50 g / m22) and potassium sulfate (20-30 g / m2). To grow organic garlic, replace mineral fertilizers with fresh wood ash. It needs so much to evenly powder the entire surface of the garden.
- Dig up and shape the bed.
- If the ground is dry, pour it with a pink solution of potassium permanganate.
- Cover with agrofiber or cover with dry grass to keep the soil moist and loose.
Garlic preparation and planting
Divide the heads of garlic into cloves. You don't need to peel off the shirt, but if it flew off by itself, it's okay, you can plant it. For planting, select large teeth that are not damaged by diseases and pests. For prophylaxis, hold the planting material for 3-5 minutes in a solution of salt (1 tablespoon per 1 liter of water) or copper sulfate (1 teaspoon per 1 liter of water), rinse with clean water and dry.
One-toothed is a sevok that has grown from bulbs, it is also planted before winter to get heads
How and to what depth to plant one-tooth and bulb
- Remove the cover from the garden bed and cut the grooves for the cloves and one-toothed teeth 6–7 cm deep, and 3-4 cm for the bulbs. The distance between the rows is 15–25 cm: the larger the planting material, the wider the row spacing.
Air bulbs or bulbs of garlic are small, so they are planted thicker and shallow
- Spread the cloves and one-toothed teeth up in 10-15 cm increments, and the bulbs - 4-5 cm. It is impossible to press into the ground so as not to damage the bottom - the place from which the roots should grow.
Place the teeth vertically, do not press them into the ground
- Line up the grooves.
- Place a thick layer of mulch (7–10 cm) on top of grass, straw or fallen leaves.
Garlic does not need any care until spring. Even in spring, you don't need to remove the mulch. Feathers make their way through it before we manage to get to the beds. A layer of grass or foliage will serve not only as a blanket in winter, but also as food throughout the summer. It will gradually rot, turning into humus.
Use a mulch that the feathers of garlic can easily pass through in spring.
In spring, in wide aisles of garlic, you can sow radishes, dill on greens or other early ripening and compact crops.
Video: planting garlic before winter
The main thing in planting garlic before winter is to choose the right timing so that it does not germinate ahead of time and does not die out. The depth of planting is also important, it is necessary to create a reliable layer of soil and mulch, then the teeth and bulbs will safely survive the cold.
Planting garlic before winter in 2020: how and when
Author: Natalya Category: Garden plants Published: March 01, 2019 Last revised: January 06, 2021
- When to plant garlic in the winter of 2020
- September 2020 year "> Planting garlic in September 2020 of the year
- October 2020 of the year "> When to plant garlic in October 2020 of the year
- November 2020 year "> Dates of planting garlic before winter in November 2020 of the year
- December 2020 before winter "> Planting garlic in December 2020 before winter
- When is it better not to plant garlic?
- Planting winter garlic
- After what culture to plant
- Preparing for landing
- Garlic soil
- How to plant garlic before winter
- Care after autumn planting
- Features of planting winter garlic
- Planting garlic before winter in the Moscow region
- Winter landing in the Urals
- Autumn planting of garlic in Siberia
- Winter garlic varieties
- Comments (1)
Garlic (lat.Allium sativum) is a perennial herb, a species of the genus Onion of the family Amaryllidaceous subfamily Onions. This vegetable culture has been popular with many peoples of the world for six thousand years - garlic is in demand both in cooking and in medicine. Not only the bulbs of garlic are edible, but also the leaves, arrows and peduncles of young plants. The homeland of the plant is Central Asia, and it was introduced into the culture in the mountainous regions of Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Tajikistan. Scientists have suggested that garlic originated from the long-pointed onion, which is common in the mountain gorges of Turkmenistan and the Tien Shan, and further research has confirmed this conjecture - garlic is indeed genetically indistinguishable from this type of onion, therefore, with a high degree of confidence, we can say that garlic is a kind of onion.
It is grown both in the spring and in the winter way. In this article, we will tell you how to properly plant winter varieties of garlic.
How and when to plant winter garlic with cloves?
This type of garlic should be planted in the ground in October, namely, if you look at the Lunar calendar, then the dates there are 15, 20, 27 October 2020.
You can also plant in November, but this is for certain regions where it is warm.
Interesting! If you look at the calendar, you can see such information for 2020, you cannot plant on such autumn days: from October 1-14. For 2020, winter garlic should be planted on September 18, 23, 29, 30, or October 15, 20, 27. For those who did not have time and for the warm regions of Russia, you can land on such days in November 13,14,15,16,17,18, as well as December: 13-18.
In general, it is worthwhile to understand that the main rule for planting garlic is planting it before the arrival of cold weather, frost. The approximate limitation is that they will come in 30 to 45 days. In other words, if your temperature outside is +10 +12 for two weeks, then this culture should be planted in the soil, because stable cold weather will come soon.
Important! Planting times will depend on which region you live in. Generally speaking, for all territories of Russia, then this is not earlier than mid-September, but not later than the first decade of December.
Remember that if you plant garlic early in the primer, it will germinate, and this is an early death ... And if you plant too late, it will not take root and freeze, and nothing good will come of it either.
Important! Remember that garlic should be planted where annual vegetables such as cucumbers, peppers, eggplants, and zucchini grew. In no case do not plant where root crops grew. Therefore, never plant garlic in a place where onions, garlic, potatoes, and also tomatoes grew. This contributes to the attack by diseases such as nematodes.
It is recommended to change the place of residence of the garlic every two years. And also there are some tricks, nuances that absolutely everyone should know about. I strongly recommend watching this video, everything is very detailed in it, but at the same time everything is shown and told in a compact manner:
Another remark and condition for garlic to give a good harvest, it must be planted at the correct phases of the moon. As usual, on the full moon and new moon, no gardening work should be done. And also on the waxing moon.
Stages of garlic planting work:
1. Prepare the soil for planting in advance, walk with a cultivator or ordinary shovel. And also you need to take planting material, I personally never process it.
2. As for the garlic, I have a Belarusian variety, as shown in this photo, it is white with a purple tint.
Important! The larger the planting material, the larger the crop will be. Ha, logical))).
Use the largest cloves, but renew the garlic periodically from the bulbs. It is preferable to use your own garlic, rather than buy it in stores or supermarkets, it is better then buy it from your grandmother in the market, where it is at least your own home.
Break the garlic into chives and remember to do this just before planting.
Plant enough garlic for food, harvesting, and planting.
3. So, start planting. There are many different options for this activity.
Interesting! You can use various special patterns, etc., in our market for garden products now there is a lot of all kinds of know-how.
I always prefer to do it easily and quickly, without any hassle. How I do it, I need two tools - a rake and a shovel.
With the help of a rake, or rather its handle, make such a ruler so that it is even. And with a scoop, make indentations, turn the scoop over and use a handle to make holes in the ground. My garden is not very large, so I plant in three grooves, you can do more at your discretion.
Important! The distance between the holes is 10-15 cm, do it by eye. And the depth of planting garlic is about 6-8 cm, you can make a mark on the handle of the scoop.
You can go with another option, take a board and make notches on it for convenience, and the indentations can be made with an ordinary peg.
4. Divide the head of garlic into cloves, prepare for work. I hope you know where the tops are and where the roots are. Who has forgotten, then be sure to look at this picture, because you must plant the roots in the ground.
5. In our case, place one clove of garlic vertically in the groove you made, and in no case do not press it, but just carefully put it and cover it with earth. No need to water.
Important! To prevent the clove from rotting from the torrential autumn rains, after you place it in the ground, add 1 teaspoon of sand to the hole, the sand will do the drainage work.
Then skip 10-15 cm, move the stalk and make three indentations, plant the garlic. And so on until the bed ends.
Interesting! For novice gardeners, you can make grooves around the entire perimeter, and then, so as not to lose where you planted and where not, stick garlic.
6. When all the cloves are planted, sprinkle well again with earth, using a rake.
7. And of course compact, also with a rake.
It's so easy, quick and simple to do this job!
Preparing the beds
In order for the garlic to take root, and the harvest to be as rich as possible, preparatory work must be carried out before sowing.
The land must be prepared
Already at the end of summer, you can begin to fertilize the soil. To do this, it is worth adding:
- 10 kg of humus
- 200 g of chalk
- 500 gzola
- Potassium sulfate - 3 tablespoons
- Superphosphate - 2 tablespoons
This amount of fertilizer will be needed for each square meter of vegetable beds; fertilizers are laid at a depth of at least 15 cm.
Formation of the garden
The optimal bed for winter garlic is an area about 100 cm wide and about 30 cm high. After the soil is dug up, you need to give the earth a rest, that is, let the soil settle. If there is little rainfall during this period, it is recommended to irrigate the soil several times.
Do not rush and plant garlic in the winter immediately after digging up the beds. This will negatively affect how the plant will develop, it is likely that the cloves will be too deep, the germination period will increase, which will affect the yield indicators.
How to prepare the soil for planting garlic before winter
The planting scheme for winter garlic begins with choosing a place. This should be a dry, well-lit area that does not accumulate snow.
After you have decided on the place, you need to fertilize and dig up. This bulbous plant needs nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium for good growth and development. To provide the soil with the necessary microelements, we apply fertilizers.
Planting garlic immediately after fertilizing and digging is not worth it. The soil will be loose and after a couple of rains it will settle, pulling deeper and planted cloves. This will certainly affect the yield, because the garlic will take longer to make its way to the sun.
We fertilize the beds
Garlic beds are prepared in August-September. It is best to improve the soil for this as follows:
- square meter of sandy soil needs a bucket of peat, two buckets of clay soil
- for 1 m² of clay soil you will need a bucket of loamy soil and sand
- a bucket of peat and sand is applied to 1 m² of clay soil.
To enrich any type of soil with minerals, organic compounds are used. The following substances are added per square meter:
- wood ash - 2 tablespoons
- chalk - 1 glass
- humus - 10 kg
- superphosphate - 1 tablespoon
- potassium sulfate - 1 tablespoon.
We distribute all this evenly on the site, dig up a shovel on the bayonet and leave it for a while so that the earth subsides. If there is little or no rainfall, you need to shed the prepared area yourself.
Experienced gardeners advise to do one more event before planting. It will protect plants from fungal attack. An antifungal agent is prepared as follows:
- copper sulfate - 1 salt spoon
- hot water - 2 l
- cold water - 1 bucket.
Vitriol is dissolved in hot water, then diluted with cold water. A garden bed is spilled with this composition, usually it is enough for 2 square meters. m. After the procedure, the ridge is covered with a film before planting the garlic.
How to properly plant winter garlic in the fall in open ground
During the growing period, the following recommendations should be observed:
- in the prepared area, it is necessary to make holes up to 5 cm deep (for convenience, you can make rows)
- Carefully lower the teeth downwards in the area of root growth. Deepen the clove and sprinkle with soil
- the distance between the teeth must be at least 15 cm, otherwise the heads will be small.
After planting, it is necessary to carefully cover the site with soil, or cover it with agrofibre. If planting is carried out by seeds, you must perform the following sequence of actions:
- treat the seeds with a light manganese solution
- in the prepared area, make small holes up to 5 cm deep
- plant seeds in the hole. The plant between the bulbs must be at least 10 cm
- sprinkle with soil and pour abundantly with warm water.
When planted with seeds, the crop can only be harvested after 2 years. In the first year, the harvest will be negligible. Ripe bulbs should not be dug up, but left for the next year.
Advice. Planting winter garlic in bulbs allows you to preserve the variety.Also, the seed method is often used if it is necessary to obtain a large amount of planting material.
Alternative method of planting winter garlic
There is another, less familiar approach to preparing a garden for winter garlic.
1. We apply fertilizers for planting garlic
At the end of August, it is necessary to apply fertilizer to the garden bed:
- potassium sulfate (2 tablespoons per square meter)
- superphosphate (1 tablespoon per square meter)
- wood ash (2 cups per sqm)
- chalk (1 glass per sqm)
- humus (10 kg per square meter).
All fertilizers are applied dry and scattered over the soil surface.
2. Cultivating the soil
After that, the earth must be carefully dug up. Again, for a speedy shrinkage, the soil is watered abundantly. If the weather is rainy, watering is optional.
3. We fill the garden
The first step is to sow rows of peas, oats and white mustard along the prepared bed, 35-45 cm from it.
4. We cultivate the soil before planting
1-2 days before planting the garlic, you need to make a top dressing. To do this, urea is applied to the beds (10-20 g per square meter). Then the earth is generously watered.
5. We plant winter garlic
In early October, when the sprouts of peas and oats reach 20 cm or more, it is time to plant garlic between their green rows.
This method of planting garlic in winter is quite effective. Greens will retain snow in the beds, due to which in winter the garlic will be covered with a snow "fur coat", and in the spring it will receive sufficient moisture.
Whatever technology you choose for planting and growing winter garlic, we hope you will be able to get a good harvest next summer.